Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Washington D.C.



WASHINGTON D.C.



Lincoln Memorial My Favorite
Memorial
How my trip was to Washington D.C. First, let’s talk about the Lincoln Memorial. The Lincoln Memorial was my favorite. The words of Abraham Lincoln's second inaugural speech are inscribed on the wall to the right. He talks about slavery and the Civil War and how it affected the nation. The way that my family and I went to the Lincoln Memorial was that we walked down Constitution Avenue from the Washington Monument until we saw it from a distance. As we walked to the memorial there is a garden to the right of the sidewalk.There is a lake between the sidewalk that is long in length. As we walked,my dad reminded me of the ''I Have A Dream" speech.The only bad part is that I had got real tired of all the walking. The Lincoln Memorial is a 100% A+ experience.



REVEREND MARTIN LUTHER KING MEMORIAL 

Now let’s talk about the Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial. The Martin Luther King memorial is my second favorite site but it’s not what I expected.I thought the M.L.K. Memorial would have been as tall as the Washington Monument or taller.Although it was not, I am glad it was there. My dad said, He wish he could hear his voice as you walk into the space. You have to take Independence Avenue to get there from the Lincoln Memorial and take a right. When my family and I walked we saw two walls without a door in the middle called the “Mountain Of Despair” we walked through it and inside we saw inscription on walls with Dr. King’s speeches’ but I thought his speech, “I Have A Dream'' would be  on the back of his statue. My mom took pictures and made a video too and had put them on Face Book.

Security Checks
Next, let’s talk about security checks. When my family and I went to Washington D.C. we took a plane trip. This was my brother and I first plane trip; but not only was it our first plane ride it was also our first security check. For the  security check, everyone had to take out their belongings and put them into a tray, slide their suitcases down the x-ray, and adults had to put their shoes in the x-ray. Everything had to go in the x-ray machine. Also they had a security check for me, my brother, and my father to go in the white house because Washington D.C. has high security protocols. The security check to go to the white house was the same as the airplane security checks except that you need your drivers’ license ID or a passport to get in the white house and for security the first thing you step on is a mat with foot prints before you go into the x-ray. Also they have a security check at the Hart Building when we were going to the U.S. Capitol The Hart building is the building with every Senator’s office but the security check is completely the same as the security check to get in the white house except that you don’t go on a footprint mat but the thing that is different is that they
have a x-ray stick to scan your pockets. My mom couldn’t get into both because she didn’t have her drivers’ license or passport.
WASHINGTON D.C.’S STREETS

Another interesting thing is that Washington D.C. is not a city or state. Washington D.C. is a district.  At first I thought it was a city because it is the capitol of the United States and other people might think it’s a city as well. Washington D.C. has three main streets that became familiar to me during my visit. Constitution Avenue, Independence Avenue, and Pennsylvania Avenue are the main streets in Washington D.C. for the tourist and Independence and Constitution Avenue runs on the opposite side of each other. All the other streets are named from states, named from alphabets, and named from numbers from 1st street all the way to 21st street. The streets were wide and incredibly long. There were no pot holes.
RIDING A METRO TRAIN

An amazing thing I did in Washington D.C. was riding the Metro. A metro is a subway train. To get to the metro you have to find an  escalator to take you down into the subway. This was also my brother and I first subway experience. We had to ride the metro by lines but we had to pay for tickets and slide them through a machine then the gate opens. We rode the metro by lines and they marked each line by colors. They have the silver, yellow, orange, green, and blue lines; but my family and I rode the blue line the whole week. They even have a mall at the Crystal City subway station. My brother, my father, and I ate at a Thai restaurant since I like spicy Asian food. I ate the most food if I can still remember the name I think it’s called Thai Neomitra and I lead us to it since I am a good map reader. The street performers are horrible in Washington D.C. as compared to New Orleans; but I’m just glad I had my first experience on the subway. Because I’m from the south and we can’t have an underground subway station because we are below sea level, one thing about metro stations is that it is very dangerous.  If you lean by the tracks you could fall in and get crushed really badly and let me tell you, you won’t survive. You can also die if someone pushes you trying to go to work and fall in the tracks because my family and I got fussed at by a random person because he was trying to go to work. We didn’t know that the rules was to stay on the right side of the escalator going down and let people pass by on the left, really!
THE AMERICAN HISTORY MUSEUM

Something else interesting is the American History Museum. The American History Museum talks about the first American inventions and the first things that succeeded. My favorite exhibit is the first battery powered car, the ‘‘EVA1.”My second favorite exhibit is the first dental chair because I used to want to be a dentist. My third favorite exhibit is the exhibit with the first actors like Christopher Reeve, Rin Tin Tin, Shirley Temple, and etc. 
THE WHITE HOUSE

The so called “Wow Factor” was the white house if I graded it then it would be a C+. First, we entered through the entrance. Then, we went to the library, vermeil room, china room
, we might have gone to the diplomatic room, then we went to the map room, and we saw the garden through the window. After that, we went to the state dining room, then the red room, blue room, green room, and then we went outside on the second floor looking at the scenery.Finally,we went downstairs and we went to the front of the white house and we saw a boring water fall and garden. At first  I thought that it was going to be a three story mansion in plus we couldn’t go in the first family's bedrooms because they were in Kenya, Africa at the time we were there.Before the tour I thought they would let us go to the bedrooms but I guess the security didn't want anyone to touch the first family's property especially the president's property. And the first thing you see when you go inside the white house are pictures of  Barrack Obama, Michelle Obama, and as you go further you see other president photos but I saw more Obama pictures than any other pictures. It is nothing but the Obama in the White House.
Korean War Memorial

A surprising memorial is the Korean War Memorial. It is surprising because it has statues of soldiers scattered around the battle field and none of them were suffering, they were just standing still in a position like they were walking or marching. And  all of the soldiers look alike. I didn’t even know they had a memorial for something like this because whoever made the sculptors didn’t know what every dead soldier looked like. For somehow he made it work.
THE WASHINGTON MONUMENT

The tallest monument I saw at Washington D.C. was the George
Washington Monument. The Monument is the same size tall and has the same ending point at the top just like the “Great Pyramids Of Giza” except that it is not as wide as the pyramids of Giza.  I don’t know why it’s made like that if it’s the “Washington Monument” but I’m sure it has a reason why inside the monument. I’m guessing it’s built like that and called the Washington Monument because it is one tall statue that represents the number 1 and George Washington was the first president. I would have went inside but you have to pay for tour tickets to get in maybe next time I’ll go.
THE CAPITAL BUILDING

The Capitol Building is a nice architecture building to visit. When I went to the capitol I couldn’t get in because polices were blocking the entrance and they were doing construction work on the building. My brother, father, and I couldn’t go straight to the capitol so we went to the Heart Building, took a mini train in the basement to get to the capitol and watch a movie about the Capitol’s history. After that, we took a tour and saw statues; each state donates two statues of famous people from that particular state. The state that I live in, Louisiana donated Edward Douglass White and Heuy P. Long to the capitol.
THE MEMORIALS I WANT TO SEE

The Thomas Jefferson Memorial, Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial, and the World War II Memorial are the memorials I would want to see if I went back to Washington D.C. The Thomas Jefferson Memorial is something I didn’t go to because its dangerous to walk there and it has a bridge called the Kutz Bridge. Other people were crossing the bridge but I thought that wasn't a good idea because its just that my brother is only 7 years old and he has a lot of energy,sometimes he like to jump alot  and he would fall in the water if we did go.  I would want to see it because it is in a building and I wonder if it’s similar to the Lincoln Memorial. I would want to see the Franklin D. Roosevelt Memorial because he is my second favorite president along with Dwight David Eisenhower. And Franklin Roosevelt played an important role in the “Great Depression” and without him we would be a poor country. Also I would want to see the World War II Memorial because I want to see something more advanced and progressed than the Korean War Memorial, my favorite president, Dwight David Eisenhower played an important role even though he wasn’t president yet.

LAST THOUGHT
Even though Washington is a boring place to visit it can be a very good thing to raise a smart family there.  I did enjoy some parts of it though.



No comments:

Post a Comment