Sunday, September 4, 2016

Elijah of Buxton by Christopher Paul Curtis

                         Elijah of Buxton

     Elijah of Buxton is a book written by my favorite author, Christopher Paul Curtis. Previously in one of my book blogs, I did a blog about one of his other books which is "Bud Not Buddy." This book is Historical Fiction. It's about a eleven year old boy  named Elijah Freeman that lived in a rural area in Canada called "Buxton." He was the first child to be born free from slavery in Buxton which made him known. He is nosy, fragile boy who's scared of thing, sneaky, and a liar put into one character. I believe Christopher Paul Curtis talks about Elijah of Buxton in his interview below. He wrote the last chapter first which had me curios on what was going to happen next. I thought that the ending was going to keep on going.
     One thing  that I noticed in the book was that most of the people that Elijah knew were crazy which is also what my main character says in my book that's coming soon, "Tyrone's New Life" about the people he knew in the rural area. To be honest, this is a coincidence because I didn't start reading the book until after my book was getting edited. When I was writing my book I just observed on my experience with people from rural areas but I didn't know for sure. That's just half of the people, I don't mean to be prejudice or to make a statement of a stereotype because there are a lot of brilliant people from rural areas but there are a lot of crazy people you'll meet in rural areas as well.

     Anyways, almost everyone that Elijah meets or know in the story is crazy. The preacher is crazy, the teacher is crazy, the Sunday/Sabbath school teacher is crazy, some of his friends are crazy, and half of the people he know is crazy. Some of the crazy people even died. This book is probably PG 13 but it's a really good book. He had lots of journeys with trying to save slaves and Fredrick Douglas was even mentioned in the story.
    One of the things that I really liked in the story was when he was walking with his friend, Mr. Leroy. I wouldn't probably say they were friends because I believe Mr. Leroy even said that he's not Elijah's friend in the story. In plus, he is a man in the story that's the same age as Elijah's parents but Elijah and Mr. Leroy are really close. Anyways, my favorite part was when Elijah and Mr. Leroy were walking together and all of a sudden Elijah said the N word on accident. That was when Mr. Leroy smacked him in the head because he felt that it was disrespectful. He told Elijah not to say that because he's keeping the hate alive by saying something that is a hateful word and I thought that it was extremely true. The only thing that can stop hate is not to give hate.


Read the blog about Bud Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis: http://truefactsreading.blogspot.com/2015/10/bud-not-buddy.html



Please watch Part 1 of the Book Trailer for my upcoming book that's coming soon. I'm going to publish a Part 2 of the Book Trailer once I get more info on which day it'll be published and I might publish the full book trailer on either the day before it'll be published or the exact day it's published.






No comments:

Post a Comment