Monday, July 18, 2016

My Time at the Audubon Zoo

My Time at the  Audubon Zoo
 By Z. Collins
 I live in New Orleans and I've lived all my life in this well known city. It has plenty of fascinating and wondrous exhibits. The Audubon zoo,  aquarium, and the insectarium are my favorite museums in my city. Even though they have exhibits full of living creatures, I think that that it is very astounding to see.
  The last time I was time I was at the Audubon Zoo was last spring at a field trip. I don't remember too much of this place just like the rest but this place has a lot of exhibits and probably the most out of the rest. I'm only going to do four exhibits that I'm most familiar with. I'm going to put links at the bottom just in case you're curious. So anyways let's do this.


Entrance/Flamingo

   I think you have to pay to get in but I do remember that the first animals you might see once you get in are flamingos. Flamingos are pink from eating shrimp but they're naturally white so they would look more like a goose, duck, or something like a crane. That was just a fact that I knew about for those that didn't know. 
Reptile Encounter


   I might not know the exhibits or the order of the exhibits but one exhibit that I know about a lot is the reptile encounter I just don't know all animals that are in the reptile encounter. I know that they have a few snakes and lizards but they are in glassed cages. It's pretty scary but it's best not to worry about them as long as they don't get out the cage. I think they have a komodo dragon but I'm not sure if it's in the reptile encounter exhibit. 
   One time I went there and a komodo dragon was staring at me and never looked at anyone else. I was so scared but my dad said that it wasn't going to do me anything. I knew it could smell fear but I was going to be scared anyway it went.If I'm the only one it's looking at while it's inside the cage then who else would it try to eat if it's outside of the cage!  It can damage bones with a hit from it's tail, it is poisonous, it is extremely fast, and it eats organs!
 Jaguar Jungle Exhibit


   The Jaguar jungle basically has two jaguars, at least I think it does. There are other exhibits with feline animals. There is a puma exhibit and a lion exhibit but I don't know the name of it. It will come back to me but the puma one looks like the same. It's just basically two of them in the cage and they're probably mates. The pumas look like female lions. There is a leopard exhibit too which is the same and they look the same as the jaguars. There is a lion exhibit but I think it's just one lion. It's scary because it's easy to fall in there but I haven't heard of that happening.


Louisiana Swamp Exhibit

 I believe the Louisiana Swamp exhibit has nutria rats, a black bear, and a albino alligator which is something that a lot of people want to see. It usually would stay still and it's confusing to tell if it's alive or not. Sometimes it would lay down on rock while it's still or stand in the water while it's still. Alligators are very vicious animals because one time I watched a documentary and a alligator was either eating a wildebeest or a zebra and the alligator ripped the skin off of the animal very fast. It started off by biting the neck like a lion would do but imagine if the alligator would do that to a human.     
  World of Primates Exhibit

   Another additional exhibit that I am familiar with is the world of primates. It has orangutans, gorillas, mandrills, and monkeys. Most people say that gorillas are harmful but they're really not. They like to help babies, infants, todlers, and small juveniles because monkeys are small. Gorillas usually think that babies and small animals are either baby gorilla or a monkey so they would play with them. It shows that in Tarzan. In the last few gorilla and baby encounters the gorillas were trying to make them comfortable instead of harmed but gorillas might act different with older animals. 
   Mandrills are more harmful than gorillas. I don't know what they eat but I guess that they are omnivores because baboons are but they seem harmful in person. If you don't know what a mandrill is, it's the type of monkey that Rafiki was from Lion King. Even their names sound harmful. It's the words Man and Drill together. One time, at a field trip to the zoo, a few boys were fussing at a mandrill and the mandrill opened it's teeth with a mad face. Then it started stomping. Another thing about mandrills is that they are in the baboon family. It looks like they have paint on their faces and butt.
   I'm not sure if orangutans are harmful but they are strong just like any other primate.
 

Other stuff are in the Audubon zoo such as the cafe, sea lions, world of primates, and etc. 
All of the exhibits:https://www.google.com/search?safe=active&biw=1024&bih=631&q=audubon+zoo+exhibits+exhibits&oq=audubon+zoo+exhibits+exhibits&gs_l=serp.12..0i22i30.1465784.1468920.0.1470461.3.3.0.0.0.0.175.389.1j2.3.0....0...1c.1.64.serp..0.3.386...0i7i30.QGSViF8iV-4

No comments:

Post a Comment